The contest was for a well known sausage company, I won't bother with the name, not that I'm a sore loser, but really you could use any favorite brand of sausage for this dish so why use their name if they aren't acknowledging mine? Okay that sounded a little bit sore, but honest I'm not hurt, I'm actually proud of myself for trying something I've never done before and that makes me feel like a winner.
I've seen these contests before, got excited even giddy at the idea of entering then fizzled out, but this time I didn't. I took the ingredient, Italian sausage (heart healthy and all) and tried to create an interesting, fairly easy, delicious, prize winning dish. Maybe the idea of sticking a sausage in a piece of chicken wasn't original, could be the contest winners recipe was really outstanding or possibly they missed my entry in the huge pile (later when they find it they will be very sorry).
Winner or not, I enjoyed the process of competing and my family enjoyed the Italian Sausage Stuffed Chicken (even tough they had to repeatedly eat my tests). I'll take their compliments, after all, they're the best trophy of all.
Italian Stuffed Chicken Medallions
6-7oz Chicken Breast
6 Italian sausage links
2 cups seasoned Italian bread crumbs
1cup all purpose flour
2 eggs beaten with 2 tsp water
28 oz marinara sauce
8 oz mozzarella cheese
Fresh Pasta Pomodoro
12 oz thin spaghetti
1 1/2 c fine dice ripe tomato
1/2 cup fine diced sweet onion
4 cloves fresh garlic chopped
1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flake
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Butterfly chicken breast, cover with plastic wrap and pound gently with a meat mallet to an even 1/4 inch thickness.
2. Lay a sausage link on center of each breast, tucking and rolling chicken around it, secure with tooth picks if needed.
3. Roll each stuffed chicken in flour, next in beaten egg and finally in bread crumbs (discard all unused flour, egg and bread crumbs)
4. Heat oil in a skillet and fry each prepared breast turning to brown.
5. Place chicken in a baking dish finish in oven until internal temp reads 165 degrees (about 15 minutes)
6. Slice and serve over pasta with hot marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
1. Saute onions and garlic with olive oil and dried chili, turn off heat.
2. Stir in diced tomatoes and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Follow directions for cooking pasta, drain.
3. Toss hot pasta with fresh sauce.