Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Panko Crab Cakes!

Let's be honest, cocktail wieners won't cut it anymore. We all know this, yet we still bring out the onion dip every time we entertain. The internet is packed with great food blogs, just google and you will find a gillion really great appetizers ready to land in your lap, (or on your lap top!). You can start by trying my  little Panko crusted crab cakes beauties here.

Panko is Japanese bread crumbs, (if I didn't know better I would have guessed an Asian conglomerate). Panko crumbs are light and airy, like fresh snow, with lot's of surface area and superior to the regular bread crumb. I can count on them to stay crispy and golden but not oily when fried. Panko thankfully, minds it's own business and doesn't interfere with other flavors. Once I used them in a dish, I found myself wanting to replace all the crumbs in my life.

"Wow" you say, so if panko is so great, what else could it be used for? Well...I top casseroles, coat fish, chicken,vegetables and use it in meatloaf...and I'm thinking of other possibilities like... thrown at a wedding instead of rice! Maybe as a filling for a comfortable chair or you can use it to turn your yard into a winter scene! Really if it wasn't so pricey I would use it in the litter box (good kitty, nicely coated!)

Last Saturday the my cooking class enjoyed Panko Crisp Crab Cakes with a Spicy Remoulade. Go figure,  I'm allergic to crab, so when I worked on the recipe I had to test it using other fish! So if you know someone who can't do shellfish, try salmon instead.

6 comments:

Smita Srivastava said...

Loved goin thru ur wonderful blog !!

- Smita
littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
(fun ideas to feed picky eaters)

Deana Gunn said...

I love panko! We use it to coat oven-baked chicken, fish, on top of casseroles and mac-n-cheese. The crab cakes look delicious.

~ Chef Louise said...

Panko and I are close, he didn't mention he knew you too. Small world. I use Panko on homemade chicken tenders- they are SO GOOD!

lobstersandwich said...

Ya' had to do this to me...didn't ya'. Just when I'm trying to eat and cook low GI foods in support of my lil' sis TS. Dilemma here! Your panko crab cakes sound AWEEEE-some. Should I make some and sneak one when TS isn't looking? I know....I'll try making 'em with the SAUCY SECRET GI CRUMBS. Better yet...I'll do both!

Thanks,Cheffie. UR a doll....and a fannnnnnn-tastic cook,idea generator par none,writer and OC Fair supporter.
xxoo
SAUCY

Florentina said...

I swear I was just thinking about Crab Cakes today! I bet the Panko crumbs makes them super crispy on the outside which I just love. I have to do it your way next time!

Renee Fontes said...

Thanks for the nice comments! I appreciate you taking time to write me a note, otherwise I feel like I'm talking to myself!
Renee