Saturday, September 4, 2010

Nut's for Knott's

I 'm thinking of pie. I can't make it, (trust me I've tried) but I love to eat it! It's goes without saying the fair is synonymous with pie and when it comes to making a perfect one, everyone in So Cal knows Knott's Berry Farm reigns supreme.  Knott's in Buena Park CA, is the birthplace of the best boysenberry's made into filling ever placed in a tin and baked to perfection.

Every night this Summer at the 2010 OC Fair "Artful Fare" culinary exhibit, fans of pie eagerly waited to hear their name called for a chance to participate in the evenings pie eating contest. If they were lucky to get one of eight coveted positions, they would don the trash bag shield and face a half a pie. No forks, no  hands, and please- no expelling, thank you.

This is the second year I got to work with Knott's team to bring face friendly pie to fair goers for a "berry fine" facial. The contest packed in a crowd, for some reason people love watching pie slide off purple plastered noses. Pie people are crazy.

Next year if Knott's is willing, I am thinking a big vat of pie where one could dive up to their earlobes in berry-ness. Humm...not a bad idea...Until next year, feel free to make me a pie! Here's a recipe straight from my 1976 Knott's Berry Farm Cookbook, by Florine Sikking and Judith Zeidler; Crust was on another page, so I'll just type it in;

Pie Crust for a two crust pie: 2 cups of flour, 1/3 cup of butter, 1/3 cup of shortening, pinch of salt, 1/2 cup of orange juice. Combine flour, shortening, butter, salt with a pastry blender until pebbly. Add juice and work together but do not over mix. Divide into two rounds and roll on floured board.


1 comment:

Jackie Ewing said...

Hi I couldn’t find an email address to send this to, but I’m an Account Manager from G2, a marketing firm, and we’re putting together a cooking contest called the Aetna Healthy Food Fight, and it’s making its way around the country. It’s coming to Southern California: the Inland Empire on October 30-31 (deadline to sign up is October 13), San Diego on November 6-7 (deadline to sign up is October 20), and Los Angeles on November 13-14 (deadline to sign up is October 27). I found your blog and it caught my attention. You, or your followers, could get great exposure for recipes and meet celebrity cooks (Bobby Flay, Sunny Anderson, Sara Moulton, or Cat Cora). Please go to healthyfoodfight.com to check it out. Good luck if you decide to enter!