Monday, March 29, 2010

Farfalle & Me


I just wanted to post the final recipe from Saturdays cooking class. Then I'll get back to the book. You know the cookbook? The one I swore I would write, even if it killed me? ( I don't know why I would swear such a thing, can't imagine dying over a cook book...I should get back to the point now).

Farfalle with caramelized onions spinach and pine nuts, a dish I prepared for class, is one of my favorite light pasta dishes. Sauce-less and fairly healthy, the sweetness of the onions moves to the foreground. The wilted spinach is tasty and looks pretty against the cream colored bows, toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.

This dish didn't use to be light, a while back I would use about a half pound of butter between caramelizing the onions and browning some (which made the bows taste amazing). Tasty as they were, cooking like that has caught up with me. I have been ignoring high blood pressure, the carrying of an unneeded/unwanted fifty-five pounds (and a lot of excuses) I need to change.

The dish is lighter now, butter free and still a favorite. As I try to lighten up as well, I hope all my changes taste this good!


Farfalle with Spinach and Caramelized Onions

1 pound onions sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar as needed
salt to taste
1⁄2 pound farfalle pasta
1⁄2 pound spinach leaves
1⁄4 cup pine nuts toasted
olive oil
Parmesan cheese garnish

1. Cook pasta in salted water until aldente.
2. Drain, lightly coat with olive oil and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil, add onions, raise heat and brown onions.
4. Add sugar if needed and reduce heat. Allow to cook slowly until onions reduce and turn a rich caramelized brown color. Salt to taste.
5. Sauté pasta with caramelized onion and a little olive oil as needed, stirring until distributed throughout the pasta.
6. Add Pine nuts, fold in spinach, just until spinach begins to wilt.
7. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.
About 5  servings

4 comments:

Louise said...

Love this salad, I love reading your blog because I've eaten your food and it's so nostalgic for me...

Renee Fontes said...

OOPS! One more thing, I said in class that clarified butter was better 'cause you strain the stuff out. That isn't true. It may be easier to cook with, but it has more fat.

Open mouth insert foot!

Carolyn Jung said...

I can see why this would be such a favorite. Anything with sweet, soft, caramelized onions AND toasty pine nuts is a winner in my book. ;)

Chow and Chatter said...

looks wonderful and light still means having good taste lol