Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Fine Cooking Problem


It was blue... an eye catching blue and the title in slick vivid green. I bent back the pages for a peek, they were slick too and boasting of bright, beautiful, glorious food flanked by neatly printed recipes. Back on the cover it screamed APPETIZERS on its "oh so perfect" face, I hastily slap a copy of Fine Cooking on the conveyor. "We will see about those 104 quick and easy recipes" I mutter to myself and continue through the checking process.

My husband got to it first, he recognized the contents immediately "hey, this looks like your cookbook", he laughs.The glossy pictures did look just like mine, so did the titles for each section, the recipes and tips. But it's not my book, my appetizer cookbook isn't finished yet.

Fine Cooking couldn't steal my cookbook, but it's incredible how close some of the ideas in the "Special Entertaining Issue" mirrored my own. No,  I'm not the inventor of the quesadilla or bruschetta, or any other appetizer staple and I know that "baby red potatoes" and "beer cheddar dip" are not original dishes. There were differences too, my "brie in pastry" is with dried cranberries instead of cherries and I used sage in my "rustic tart" instead of rosemary. This doesn't make me feel better.

"Any ideas?" I say to myself. Myself is not in the mood.
"Does my cookbook project just seem...I don't know... pointless?"
Myself ( in the fetal position) is mad I picked this week to start a diet.

7 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

go on do a cookbook remember how Julia Child struggled thanks for visiting my blog for Ed's Guest post

Rebecca

Renee Fontes said...

From Fine Cooking via twitter

"finecooking

@chefrenee Hi, just read your blog:) I think you should go for finishing your book--great minds think alike!"

Kristen said...

What a bummer, but don't let it get you down. Maybe this is just an opportunity to make yours better than theirs? Isn't theirs a periodical not a book?

Now go finish your book!

Louise said...

Simba... Remember who you are :) Creative is your middle name, your creativity is your strongest asset, the very essence of who you are. You are an incredible chef, despite the fact you hate to cook but even better you are truly one of the most creative people I know. It isn't the cheese, meatball or brie that makes you stand out or different (although they are tasty) it's your ability to be creative with them. Show me 3 different ways to plate that meatball depending on what kind of party I'm having. Tell me why not to put the basil in until the end, show me all the secrets of a caterer so I can make beautiful creative food...Love u

Louise said...

Renee, trying to get inspired... changed my blog to www.2besatisfied.blogspot.com

Louise

Ed Schenk said...

I blog for me. if no one else gets it I still have accomplished my goal. Finish your goal!

Renee Fontes said...

Love you guys. Even Fine Cooking has been nice. I will end the pity party and get back to work!