Saturday, January 23, 2010

Excuse Me, My Kitchen's On Fire


My back was turned I didn't see the flames. They licked up the oil, filled the air with soot and permanently blackened the once mirror surface of my All Clad.  So what was I doing that I missed the four alarm on the stove? Why I was fully engaged in fridge cleaning and up to my elbows in a raw chicken puddle left by the very culprit burning on the stove.

What started this mess was guilt about erratic meals I have been feeding my family lately. The cookbook writing requires testing, the testing creates leftovers, and leftovers create boredom faster then you can say "should I call 911" I laugh about feeding the guy's appetizer tests but honestly unless you win the lotto (difficult when you don't buy tickets ) the household food budget is going into experiments.

So for dinner I decide to grill a chicken and vow to not take it's picture, then serve it with normal sides. When the time came to retrieve the bird from the fridge I see it's leaked raw yucky fluids all over. While I survey the leaky chicken damage the sky opens and delivers "the rain that never happens in California", in torrents. So much for the grill.

"I am not giving up," (repeat to myself)  I whip out the All Clad mega pan, douse it with oil, quarter, season and flour my leaky chicken and put it onto cook. Now here's the scary part, while I  was suited up in rubber gloves to sanitize the fridge, some of the oil in the pan must have slipped out and ignited.

Meanwhile, and much to my horror, my family started chanting the dreaded "what's for dinner"  phrase. I had to act fast. I quickly covered the flames and moved any flammable items away from the stove then wondered if I had a pizza coupon. Examining the chicken, I realized it was singed but acceptable. I added mushrooms to compliment the smokey flavor.

The stove is a lost cause, don't get me started. It will take a week to clean the pan. Normal, (what's normal?) dinner with family priceless.

6 comments:

lobstersandwich said...

Oh my! My girl! What a story...There are better days ahead. And your cookbook will be your ultimate masterpiece.

When you feel like smokin' up your kitchen again, go to new MOMOFUKU post on my blog. The steak will set off the fire alarm, but its worth it...
But wait a week or so to recover first....

xxxooo
SAUCY

Anonymous said...

love it... i had oil and something on the stove added a can of tomatoes. must have been just the right amount of oil to liquid but it flamed like crazy and completely melted the cabinet. not my problem now-heee

louise said...

oops anonymous is me Louise

Anna said...

OH MY GOODNESS! How scary! My hub had an oil fire a couple weeks ago, but not quite that bad! It was scary too, but he got it outside, thank God! Sorry to hear about your stove, but glad all else was fine!

K Hamilton said...

I have had similar experiences! Just wanted to let you know that I have an award for you on my blog here http://www.thegeekygourmet.net/2010/01/my-first-award-honest-scrap.html

DawnSandomeno said...

Sounds like a tough day! But, keep cooking and keep taking pictures ... I enjoy reading.