Saturday, March 27, 2010

RE-Published - Off The Bottle-Lemon Viniagrette


I am proud to say I am off the bottle. It's been well over a decade and I haven't looked back.

The situation had gotten bad, I settled for a less then I deserved. The people in my life were understanding and supportive yet surely unfulfilled. I gave up bottled salad dressing for the ones I love, for myself, and you can too.

It isn't always easy, giving up a habit. The store shelves are studded with shiny rainbow of vessels. They promise flavors of the Mediterranean, of places like Russia and the Orient, but they rarely deliver. I think there's probably more bottled dressings then people in Los Angeles. Even celebrity faces peer out from the labels.

Once I realized making dressing was really pretty darn easy and just got to it, salads have never been better. I use it beyond salads as marinade, bread dip, drizzled on vegetables and even fruit. Sometimes I love homemade dressing so much I have to restrain myself from dabbing it behind my ears or pouring it on pancakes.

12 Step Plan for Salad Recovery

1. If possible, find a friend with an over producing lemon tree.

2. Trust in only the freshest ingredients.

3. Take the first step and mix up some Lemon Basil Vinaigrette;

Lemon Basil Vinaigrette

3/4 cups light salad or olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoons basil
1/2 minced shallot
1 clove crushed garlic
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
3. Mix and Chill Dressing-
In a glass bowl whisk mustard, lemon juice, garlic and shallot. Stream in oil whisking briskly. The color will lighten and the dressing will thicken. Chiffonnade basil, stir in season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Be willing to make adjustments in oil or lemon juice in the recipe as lemons vary in acidity.

5. Admit Salad greens should be clean and dry, cut or torn in bite size pieces.

6. When your entirely ready, use a extra large bowl to work in place any heavy items such as tomatoes in the bottom.

7. Humbly, drizzle tomatoes and any other salad garnish first, then place greens on top.

8. Trust the use of gloved hands to gently toss salad, drizzle in additional dressing as needed.

9. Come to believe trying different vinegars or other citrus are good for variety.

10. Make a decision to add honey, fruit, jam or cheese to create new tastes.

11. Never be afraid to use dressing for marinating, as a dip and to season other dishes.

12. Go to everyone you ever served a so so salad to, and make them a new one!

1 comment:

Heidi from Savory Tv said...

A 12 step program for leaving bottled dressing, I love it! Great tips, especially love the idea of adding jam, I had never contemplated that one. Cheers!