Sunday, January 18, 2009

Resolutions on Parade


I hadn't quite recovered from Christmas when New Years showed up. I was ready to set this one out when an invite from family friends, led to a fun night at their arcade," Nickle, Nickle". The surprise reunion and yours truly winning the skee ball contest, made for a festive end to 2008.

The following
morning, I stare bleary eyed at the TV the Rose Parade begins it's third run. Low and behold a New Years miracle!... Stephanie Edwards is back in proper position at the Rose Parade! It was enough to trade my pj's in for jeans and head for Pasadena. My husband, son, nephew and I went to see the float phenomena. Honestly you haven't seen anything until you have seen these mobile bouquets first hand!

New Years came and went and I forgot to make a resolution. It simply slipped my mind. If I had been on the ball, I would have recited the traditional as usual. Loose weight, exercise more, eat better and write a cookbook. What, doesn't everyone want to loose weight?

This year I am breaking tradition and pledging some restyled resolutions:

Instead of trying to shed some pounds I am going to put more effort into getting taller. I'll even donate a chin to anyone who needs one.

I will move my legs faster then my mouth at the Gym.
Instead of eating better, I am going to eat more meaningful food. Like pizza with friends.
Besides, if for any reason my life should flash before me, I do not want Lean Cuisine to be my last food memory.
I will not go grocery shopping in sweats and a ponytail. And when I go, I'll bring my list.
I'll stop avoiding words I can't spell.
I will let my son correct my English, after all, I'm paying tuition.
This year I resolve to try Brussels sprouts again, learn how to browse and work o
n that cookbook.

Am I the only one that thinks the Smoked Salmon and Dill Rosettes look just like a rose float?
Should you want to make your own parade, here's a tasty way to welcome 2009!

Smoked Salmon and Dill Rosettes













Ingredients:

25 each crepes
24 ounces cream cheese
2 lbs. smoked salmon sliced
1 cup capers
1 each red onion sliced
1 bunch fresh dill
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions:
Combine lemon juice, cream cheese and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh dill.
Lay our 25 crepes on a clean surface and working quickly spread cream cheese mixture over entire crepe.
Evenly divide salmon slices, between all 25 crepes and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of capers.
Thinly slice red onion and lay a few separate rings over the salmon on each crepe.
Tuck and roll crepe as tightly as possible, careful not to tear the fragile crepe.
Chill 2 hours. Cut each crepe roll at a slight angle into 4 pieces and arrange on platter.
Garnish each roll with additional dill sprig.

No comments: